About Me

My photo
I LOVE to design and to paint whimsical items that will put a smile on your face. Each day I share my simple life with you as I try to encourage, to inspire and sometimes JUST to make you smile as I recount my life growing up on a dairy farm! I've never had many material items in my life, BUT I have been blessed beyond words with love and encouragement from WONDERFUL Parents who instilled in me WHAT was important. I have had EVERYTHING that I needed and WAY too much of what I wanted. I am slowly learning to be a better person each day through my interactions with my friends on Facebook. Some day I hope to be as good as people seem to THINK I am! I am BLESSED! Welcome to my little corner of the world...Please stop by and visit often!

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Tutorial Thursday: Witch Ornament

One of my favorite things about social media is finding some amazing artists.  I love those who share techniques and tips--that is the kind of person that I like and want to be like.

I also tend to gravitate toward those that are Christ Followers.  The same was true when I would buy books.  I read the acknowledgement to see what kind of person they were.

One of my favorite people to "follow" lately, is Mindy Lacefield.  Her style is so far from mine, that it intrigues me.  A fb friend has been taking her 24 faces on-line workshop, and I find myself turning a bit green for not having money and being able to take classes, BUT then, I again, am amazed at the generosity of so many artist who freely give of their time to share.  Be sure to let people know how you appreciate them when they share.

Mindy shared how she created an ornament the other day on her blog click here to go there.
I wanted to try it, so eventually, on a trip to the kitchen, I looked to see if I had any coffee filters.  

NOW, this is where we laugh.  I DID find some, and they were greatly discolored.  I tried to figure how long they had been in the cabinet, and I KNOW that coffee has not been made in this house for 14 years, and since they last so long, they probably had been there for about 6 or more years, since we only made coffee on Christmas morning, and maybe 2 more times...so, my question is: Does this make my ornament VINTAGE?  ROFL

I also, have had these ornaments for about 6 years too!  So I gathered them with the naturally stained coffee filters...


I used DecoArt Americana Decou-Page Matte.
I removed the tops of the ornaments.


I covered the ornament with the product and added
 pieces of  the torn coffee filter to the ornament.


I didn't care that the pieces were smooth or not-I wanted them to add texture.  I kept adding until I had covered the entire ornament.
I covered the top of the coffee filter with a generous 
coat of the Decou-Page.


Oh, and then, the fun part is getting to peel 
the "glue" from my fingers.  
Yes, I hope to always keep part of the kid at heart inside of me!!

I placed the ornaments on dowels to dry.
I had time to give my baby a Peanut Butter/Jelly sandwich.

This is the dried ornament.


I painted it with white Gesso.


Then with Jack-o-lantern.
I used my favorite "tool", Dry Wall Tape as a stencil 
to add texture with Marigold and White.


These are the colors I used to paint my ornament.




After I finished painting, I added some of Neons Fiery Red and Metallic Lustre in Orange Flicker.  I will brush several coats of Glamour Dust on the ornaments later--it messes up pictures...

How fun is this?

I don't do scary Halloween.
I try to keep everything I paint as Happy!




I hope this will inspire you to use those 
glass ornaments in a different way...
adding just a bit of texture can make a big difference!




Thanks for stopping by my corner of the world!
I am simply blessed to create~~charlotte♡




2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world. In case you haven't been told, you are loved!~~charlotte♡