I think this recess period was a SUCCESS...
I gathered one of those $1 frames from Michael's (wonder if it is still $1!)
I took an old soft scruffy brush and DecoArt Decou-Page Matte.
I applied the Decou-Page VERY thick on the front of the frame and inside where the picture goes.
I cut a hole in the center (over the picture opening) and a line to each of the four corners so I could push the tissue paper over that edge...
This is the back. I carefully trimmed the tissue paper. I applied a generous amount of Decou-Page to the edge and a little onto the back and carefully stuck the paper into the Decou-Page. Again, no problem with torn edges. I had a few and I simply applied another piece of wrinkled tissue paper onto the tear and gently added more Decou-Page to adhere it.
When this was finished. I applied another generous coat of Decou-Page on top of the tissue. I used a pouncing motion to make certain the paper had made contact with the glue underneath and also to make certain all the cracks and crannies were covered with the Decou-Page...no worries, again, because Decou-Page dries clear! I used my hair dryer to speed the drying and then went and ate my supper...Priorities!!
I turned the piece over and did the same to the front. I made certain to cover all the tears on the edges and any that were on the front.
I don't want to brag, but this is a miracle for me~~I only got just a little bit of glue on my pointing finger of my left hand! That never happens with me!
While doing this, a GREAT thought hit (and to my knowledge, there was no natural disaster that happened when I had the idea...again, it is VERY dangerous when I start to think!)
I went to my little clear container of all things rusty (bells, stars and snowflakes, anyway) and pulled out a package that I had bought at Hobby Lobby several years ago.
DISCLAIMER: People, THIS is why CRAFT STORES stock Christmas items early! We are NOT all a machine who can paint for our crafts shows ONLY at the appropriate time of year, deemed by you who sit in judgment of retail...heavy sigh...SO, you might want to excuse yourself from the rest of this project since I DID probably purchase these snowflakes during JULY!!! I most certainly would not want to MAKE you look at a WINTER item when it is 100 outside...
OK...Sorry...it frustrates me, but I am now back to my cheerful self and will tell you that I cut the jute off of the snowflake ornament and covered the hole with DecoArt Dimensional effects, Paste or Snow Tex would work fine.
I also cut a piece of Acrylic Paper to go in the center.
I stippled Titanium White onto the snowflake and also onto the frame to form a snowman/woman (hey, I am trying to be politically correct, here, folks...LOL)
I lightly stippled some Teal Green on the left side, under the head, under the belly and where the pieces of "coal buttons" will go~~this is an easy way to add a shadow and anyone can do it. If it gets too dark, just go over it with some more of the original white..
I added the face, coal and a tree...I added the face to the Snowflake...I dry brushed Payne's Grey around the edges and then, why stop there, I added some of top of all the "bumps" of the texture. I had every intention of stopping there and flecking White on the piece, but I stuck my hand into a tub of treasures that stays on a shelf and grabbed some Metallic Lustre...I thought I had grabbed the Gold, and when I opened the top, I thought it was such a pretty deep gold...when I looked it was Orange Flicker...I LOVE IT!!!
I have not used any techniques that require many years of practice...HOWEVER, the more you practice, the better you get!