About Me

My photo
I LOVE to design and to paint whimsical items that will put a smile on your face. Each day I share my simple life with you as I try to encourage, to inspire and sometimes JUST to make you smile as I recount my life growing up on a dairy farm! I've never had many material items in my life, BUT I have been blessed beyond words with love and encouragement from WONDERFUL Parents who instilled in me WHAT was important. I have had EVERYTHING that I needed and WAY too much of what I wanted. I am slowly learning to be a better person each day through my interactions with my friends on Facebook. Some day I hope to be as good as people seem to THINK I am! I am BLESSED! Welcome to my little corner of the world...Please stop by and visit often!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Apples and Fall, Sunday, September 21, 2014





There is something about Fall and Apples!  Once it becomes cooler, I start to crave fresh apples…I guess it goes back to when we had a WONDERFUL Apple Orchard in our county.  We would ALWAYS stop there on our way back from Appalachian Homecoming the First Week of October and Mother and I would make at least one more trip to have sandwiches/soup.  I really do miss the Robin’s Nest!




There isn’t much better than slicing an apple and dipping it into caramel, either!  Mother would often put apple slices on our plates for supper and while I would not be too excited when I saw it, ONCE I bit into an apple, the slices were soon gone…HOW COULD I FORGET how much I like apples?




A few years back, we had a summer storm, which is absolutely NORMAL for Middle Tennessee and Mother called me to tell me that she and Daddy were fine…I hated to admit that I didn’t realize it was even storming, since I worked an hour away and we didn’t have windows in my office.  Mother had said that the small shed that was once used to house my oldest brother’s first show cows, BUT what REALLY upset her was the fact that they lost the apple tree. 




Mother LOVED that apple tree and would often sing as she walked the short way down the lane to get a bucket full of apples to prepare for lunch…they were the PERFECT apples for her.  We mourned the loss of that apple tree for the rest of her life, even though friends and family kept her well-supplied with apples, knowing how she loved cooked apples.




We tried our BEST to grow another apple tree, but the invasion of those crazy beetles ate EVERY leaf and a tree cannot live without leaves…Daddy finally just gave up!




During the last two years of Mother’s life, I tried EVERYTHING I could think of to give her something to do and to keep her hands as busy as I could, and that often meant stopping to pick up apples from my cousin’s house for mother to peel and put into the freezer!  It became a JOKE that if Cheryl (her niece) called to invite her to the house for the day, she KNEW it was to PEEL APPLES!




Thank YOU God, for APPLES and the MEMORIES they bring to my heart.




On Saturday, I think I went into APPLE OVERLOAD.  I had, what in my opinion, was the PERFECT FALL LUNCH.  I made a grilled cheese sandwich on 12-grain bread with a mix of Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Parmesan Cheese and a Slice of ham.  When I took it off of the heat, I added sliced lettuce and a tomato.  I also had a SLICED apple, a few grapes and I opened a NEW FRESH bag of Lay’s Potato Chips.  I ALSO had some Apple Cider with a splash of SPARKLING Apple Cider for some added FIZZ…OH DEAR!  It was so Delicious!




SO, keeping in the THEME of Apples, later in the night, I made Apple Dumplings!!  YES, I will make them again.  I did not have Granny Smith Apples, but I did have Tart McIntosh Apples, so that is what I used…I used 4 apples instead of the two BIG Apples and placed 2 pieces into each triangle of crescent roll…NEXT Time I make it, I think I will use an extra slice of apple in each dumpling since there was so much sugar, but I thought they were pretty good AND they passed the ULTIMATE TASTE TEST of CHARCOAL!!





I KNOW, I am a BROKEN record, but if you have never had the JOY of eating a freshly picked piece of fruit or a vegetable, make plans to MAKE that HAPPEN…there is no way for me to simply WRITE how wonderful the taste difference is!!



I HOPE that you will take the time to enjoy one of YOUR FALL Favorites this week…NOTHING beats making a FOOD MEMORY!



Have the most BLESSED of Days and STOP to ENJOY the beauty that is all around YOU…blessings to YOU…~charlotte







APPLE DUMPLINGS



2 large Granny Smith apples


2 (10-oz) cans refrigerated crescent rolls

3⁄4 c butter (1 1⁄2 sticks), melted


1 1⁄2 c sugar


1 T cinnamon


1 (12-oz) can Mountain Dew, Mellow Yellow or Sierra Mist (clear carbonated soda) (this is 1 1/2 cups)






Peel and cut each apple into 8 wedges. Separate crescent rolls and wrap one roll around each piece of apple. (I had small apples, so I used 4 apples and put 2 pieces into each triangle.) Pour half of melted butter in a (9 X 13-inch) baking dish and place apple rolls side by side in baking dish. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over top of rolls. Drizzle with remaining butter and pour soda on top. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings

note:  this looks like a LOT of sugar, and it is, but IF you use Granny Smith Apples, you will NEED the sugar! It really is delicious.


4 comments:

  1. These look amazing! There is nothing like the smell of something good on a cool autumn day to really make a house a home. Thank you again for sharing your recipe (I love them all!) and thank you for sharing your stories of your family. I sure enjoy learning more about you! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Charlotte.. these look delicious... and I love apples in the fall too... love the story... as always... xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I am hungry now!!! I LOVE apples & will DEFINITELY have to make this. We have a couple of gentlemen who have "catered" some of our church dinners. And they have THE BEST apple crisp! A couple of years ago, i had bronchitis over Christmas. I had to miss the Christmas dinner at church, which hubby & i were supplying that year. Well, i was so blessed that hubby had ordered a pan of apple crisp just for me. =) I think that was the best Christmas gift that i got that year. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prince Charlie is a big help in the kitchen, Oh thank you for sharing the recipe I have not had Apple dumplings in years will have to try some. I love Granny smith apples. And yes the thrill of fresh picked has nothing to match it or the taste :) Love apples too
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world. In case you haven't been told, you are loved!~~charlotte♡