About Me

My photo
I LOVE to design and to paint whimsical items that will put a smile on your face. Each day I share my simple life with you as I try to encourage, to inspire and sometimes JUST to make you smile as I recount my life growing up on a dairy farm! I've never had many material items in my life, BUT I have been blessed beyond words with love and encouragement from WONDERFUL Parents who instilled in me WHAT was important. I have had EVERYTHING that I needed and WAY too much of what I wanted. I am slowly learning to be a better person each day through my interactions with my friends on Facebook. Some day I hope to be as good as people seem to THINK I am! I am BLESSED! Welcome to my little corner of the world...Please stop by and visit often!

Friday, September 15, 2017

Peaches and Milk



I don't like milk.

Well, unless it has something good added to it! 

Yep, strange for someone raised on a dairy farm.

...AND, my mother was allergic to dairy foods.

The good news is Daddy ate enough cheese and ice cream to keep us all in business. 

In the line of true confessions, I don't care for breakfast.

I never have.




I do not eat eggs.

Ok, so that is not true.

I do eat eggs as long as I can't taste or smell them. Throw in enough cheese and onions, cook it crispy, and I will eat an omelet or a quiche. 

I have gagged over cleaning one too many iron skillets after eggs were cooked--eeeeeewwwwww...



I was the brat, who followed my Daddy like a puppy,  and sat at the table between my parents until their deaths.



I remember sitting around the breakfast table each morning with my family, as a young child. Mother said there were few meals that something wasn't spilled, and often, it wasn't one of the kids!  Remember, we had 3 people past 80 the first few years of my life.

As we got older, it became a joke that as soon as the blessing was offered, somebody always jumped up to get something! 




Daddy always had the same breakfast --2 eggs (fried with a runny middle---ick, or scrambled), 2 pieces of toast, covered in White Karo Syrup, and cut into 9 squares, 2 pieces of sausage, bacon or ham, and coffee.



I have shared this before, but it is as vivid a memory as it gets. I remember watching Daddy perfectly cutting his toast into those 9 squares, and this one particular morning, I asked him to cut my toast. 




I remember my eyes growing big in horror as he reached across me with that egg-yellow-laced fork to cut my toast! I watched in unbelief as those egg drippings were now on MY toast, and tears flowed uncontrollably. 



I remember the sternness of Daddy telling me to stop crying and to eat. I remember thinking that I would stop crying, but eat it, I would NOT.  Yes, Daddy got an extra piece of toast that morning.

Of all the things that I remember, I wonder why this is etched in my mind.



Maybe, this was the foundation of my not liking breakfast. A celebration of all things EGG is a bit much for me. LOL

Mother, long ago, gave up on trying to force me to get up earlier than I needed to stare at food I didn't want to eat. 

We would get breakfast bars, granola, or anything that we could grab and go. Breakfast became only for special occassions--that wasn't a bad thing. It helped reassure me of the specialness of gathering around a table to share breakfast. I LOVED going to Shoney's breakfast bar with Mother and Daddy. 

Any time we traveled, Daddy planned a stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I never minded so much getting up a bit earlier for that.




My favorite breakfast, as of late, is Yogurt with granola. Of course, it comes later in the day. 😊

Yesterday, I thought I would try to use the rest of my milk I had bought for potato soup, before the milk spoiled, so I got a bowl of granola. As I sat down for my afternoon snack, I eyed my last peach, big as a softball, and too expensive to let spoil  ($2.98/lb), so I grabbed it and chopped it into my cereal. 



Mercy,  me, those food memories. 

I was transported back to my childhood years of eating fresh peaches with milk/sugar over them or blackberries with milk/sugar! 

WOW!!

I can't adequately express my gratitude for being raised in a home that smelled of freshly baked goods...for being blessed with fresh out-of-the-garden veggies...for the joy of growing up around a table with family and friends...for being taught that all good gifts come down from the Father of Lights...for learning to always bless the hands that prepared a meal, our food to nourish our bodies, and our health to God's service.

To God, be all glory, honor and Praise! 

I am simply blessed to create~charlotte♡





2 comments:

  1. I will share my egg story..I HATE HATE HATE hardboiled eggs. Mom was in the hospital having my baby sis..back then you stayed a few days. My Grandma Young, who was seriously nutty as a fruitcake and mean as a snake..decided to come and take care of us while Mom was away. Hair uncombed, I pick up my lunch box and notice it is heavy and rattles..hop on my bike and off to school..Lunch time comes around and I open my lunch box to find 6 HARD BOILED EGGS and no penny for my milk. I sat there tears rolling. My teacher comes up to see what was wrong and bless her heart, she gave me a bottle of milk and asked if I would trade an egg for half her sandwich. I wish she was alive today so I could hug her and tell her after all these years, I still remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an egg story for you, Charlotte - I used to like eggs. We would have 'soft boiled' eggs in the little egg cups and the yolks would be still liquid and runny. Never bothered me. I also liked "Sunny side up" eggs where the middle was soft enough to dip your toast in when you ate it. Again - no problem.

    Then one morning when I was working in downtown Chicago, a couple of friends and me decided to meet for breakfast at a place near Union Station. We did this once in a while and took an earlier train in to have a quick visit before work. It made me feel very 'grown up' at about 19 years old.

    We ordered breakfast and I ordered an omelette with ham. I was absolutely starving and my tummy hurt from not eating. They brought the omelette to me, but it was late and getting time to go. Instead of chopping the ham up, they had it in slices, kind of rolled in the eggs. And the eggs weren't cooked enough. They were really 'wet' around the ham and the cheese wasn't melted inside. I took a bite and saw this and I wanted to send it back, but I would have been late for work.

    I ate it anyway because I was so hungry. But every bite made me cringe.

    By the time I got to work, I will sick. I 'lost it' as soon as I got into my office. Good thing I made it to the washroom on time.

    I NEVER was able to eat any kind of eggs that were remotely 'wet' again. Every time I see them, that memory returns. No more soft boiled. No more "sunny side up". No more soft in the middle in any form.

    Things that are traumatizing do stick with us. It is funny. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world. In case you haven't been told, you are loved!~~charlotte♡