About Me

My photo
I LOVE to design and to paint whimsical items that will put a smile on your face. Each day I share my simple life with you as I try to encourage, to inspire and sometimes JUST to make you smile as I recount my life growing up on a dairy farm! I've never had many material items in my life, BUT I have been blessed beyond words with love and encouragement from WONDERFUL Parents who instilled in me WHAT was important. I have had EVERYTHING that I needed and WAY too much of what I wanted. I am slowly learning to be a better person each day through my interactions with my friends on Facebook. Some day I hope to be as good as people seem to THINK I am! I am BLESSED! Welcome to my little corner of the world...Please stop by and visit often!

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Vinegar...Sunday, August 3, 2014





 I found myself snickering a few moments ago as I was making gravy from the roast beef “juice” and I reached for the vinegar.  I had purposely cooked this roast with extra water so I could make some easy gravy (just thicken with corn starch)…


Vinegar, especially Apple Cider Vinegar, was a MUST for meals in my mother’s extended family…it was ALWAYS placed on cabbage and turnip greens…



ONCE we had a family Thanksgiving with Mother’s family, as we always did, and NOBODY brought the Vinegar!  TRAGEDY ensued…my Cousin became VERY grumpy and believe me, NEVER did that happen again…That made the “no dessert” Thanksgiving seem like a MILD tragedy…NEVER had we had a POT LUCK gathering without a single dessert…I guess the LUCK just ran out!  THAT never happened again either!



I don’t like vinegar on my cabbage and since I don’t like turnip greens, then it certainly does NOTHING to endure the taste to my “buds”…LOL…

I have often joked that I am the QUEEN of making ANYTHING that has vinegar and Salad dressing~~broccoli slaw, slaw, tartar sauce, tomato and cucumber relish…ANYTHING that has vinegar, I am YOUR GIRL!  I guess it is just a reflection of the SWEET and SOUR part of me…Although I can be “fine and dandy, sweet as candy”…I can be the WORST sour-puss on the planet…sigh….



Growing up and learning to cook as all good farm girls did, I had a tough time remembering WHICH vegetables required a pinch of sugar added to them and which needed vinegar.  Green Beans were always finished off with a splash of vinegar to brighten them…Corn from the old days always got a pinch of sugar as did any form of black eyed peas and to this day, I can’t remember IF Lima Beans got it or not, so I just add butter!  Nothing else got the vinegar EXCEPT the green beans~~wonder why, but boy, are they delicious and NO you cannot TASTE the vinegar and if you do, Well, then you added too much!!



Roast Beef gravy was another thing that most always got a splash of vinegar…it just brightened it…AND again, no other gravy got it…I don’t know why, but I just try my best to STILL follow the rules!  =)



I’m so thankful that Mother made sure I learned to cook.  It has brought me, and many others, great JOY…Thanks, Momma!!...This morning as I was sitting on the back porch, I was surrounded by more than a dozen butterflies…I THINK it was Mother just stopping by to say HI and that she loved me…I wish I had been a better daughter and I think I will always wish that!  Too late to repair the past, but I sure can improve ME for the present…



Sending you ALL BUTTERFLY wishes and LOVE…Blessings to YOU…~charlotte♥

Don’t forget about the Blog Hop…Click  HERE  to go find out about the RULES…



AND if THAT isn’t enough, the Selling Page for the same Etsy group, Folkart and Primitives (FAAP) is having a giveaway…You will have to request to join the page…BUT there are some cute prizes…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world. In case you haven't been told, you are loved!~~charlotte♡