About Me

My photo
I LOVE to design and to paint whimsical items that will put a smile on your face. Each day I share my simple life with you as I try to encourage, to inspire and sometimes JUST to make you smile as I recount my life growing up on a dairy farm! I've never had many material items in my life, BUT I have been blessed beyond words with love and encouragement from WONDERFUL Parents who instilled in me WHAT was important. I have had EVERYTHING that I needed and WAY too much of what I wanted. I am slowly learning to be a better person each day through my interactions with my friends on Facebook. Some day I hope to be as good as people seem to THINK I am! I am BLESSED! Welcome to my little corner of the world...Please stop by and visit often!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Gingerbread Ornament

As a member of several groups, I see the same questions over and over, but I guess it is true, if you don't know, you don't know.

My question is: what have you done to find the answer?

😁😂🤣😃

Basically, you have 2 forms of surfaces: wood type, or unslick, and glass/plastic types, or SLICK.

If you have a non-slick surface, basically, paper, wood or mdf, then the choice is yours to seal it or not. If it is a more porous surface, or, a surface that "drinks" your paint, then, yes, by all means, seal it, or you will be painting for days, and quite possibly will never get an even coverage.

Seal it with an all-purpose sealer. You can even mix this half/half with your base coat for the first coat. This isn't a bad habit to make!

Now, slick surfaces. 

If it is slick, then you MUST prepare your surface in some way to give it a "tooth", so your paint will have something to hold it in place. 

What  are some slick surfaces?

Metal, glass, vinyl records, plastic, slick mdf, candles, soap...


Today, I will share ONE of many ways to paint on glass.

My favorite product for painting on slick surfaces, especially plastic dominoes, metal and glass, is to use DecoArt Paint Adhesion.

CLICK HERE to go to the #decoart website to order

You simply mix it with equal amounts of Acrylic Paint, and basecoat it. I base coat it again with straight Acrylic paint, and paint as I normally do.


I love this product! 

This sweet gingerbread is painted on a flat glass ornament that I bought at Hobby Lobby--half price, of course! 



I mixed a small puddle of Paint Adhesion with the same amount of my base coat, Honey Brown this time, and using an old scruffy brush, I stippled it on, because that is the look I wanted.

Note: the fact that I stippled on the paint, gave it some texture, or "tooth", to help more by giving the top layers something to hold onto! Lots of people will sponge on the basecoat for this reason.

 

Since I didn't get a complete coverage, I used the same mix to again stipple my ornament, but I picked up a lighter brown, Camel, to mix with it to give it the look of texture.


Be sure to allow both colors to show, because you don't want mud!

Some people forget that Fast, Fun and Fabulous painting does not have to be boring! 😉




I started adding the face.

PLEASE purchase a good liner, and learn to use it. It makes a world of difference in the quality of your work. 

I suggest an 18/0 liner. 



More details were added, and again, I strongly suggest learning how to float color.

Highlighting the eyes, top of the nose, and mouth add such quality! 

There are many videos on you-tube.

Any Mogish has an excellent video on her blog.  It isn't the method I use, but it is worth learning her way.




Adding the icing is always fun. Again, done with a 18/0 liner. And those eyelashes! 😲

The comma strokes were done with a #2 Round --another must have brush for me.

Again, floating shade around the eyes, icing, under the nose, under the mouth adds such dimension, and will set your work above! 

Learn to float--did I mention that? 😁😂


Have fun with eyes. 

Learn where to place highlights so that they look in different directions.

I can't tell you how much I can't stand to see Santa's with their eyes looking in their eyelids--heavy sigh...

Pinterest is filled with eye tutorials! I have a board on my pinterest account  (Charlotte Fletcher) that you can follow...



Now, aren't these adorable.

Look at the details on these cuties! 


But wait...the fur was a flying! 

Don't they look like Phyllis Diller?!

I LOVE THEM! 


Cuteness overload! 


Just because it is 
something easy, 
it can still be

FUN
FAST and
FABULOUS!

I am simply blessed to create~charlotte ♡



8 comments:

  1. These are fun, Charlotte! Thanks for all your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Charlotte..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just too cute! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen these flat ornaments but I think I’m going to look for some because I really love this ginger! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pink hair! Jingle on Ms Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Charlotte! It is just adorable! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pink cheeks, what color did you use. Thet’re Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't remember, but I THINK I used DecoArt Americana Acrylics Dragon fruit. I know I tried to match the fur.😁😂🤣 or it might have been boysenberry pink--they are similar.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world. In case you haven't been told, you are loved!~~charlotte♡