About Me

My photo
I LOVE to design and to paint whimsical items that will put a smile on your face. Each day I share my simple life with you as I try to encourage, to inspire and sometimes JUST to make you smile as I recount my life growing up on a dairy farm! I've never had many material items in my life, BUT I have been blessed beyond words with love and encouragement from WONDERFUL Parents who instilled in me WHAT was important. I have had EVERYTHING that I needed and WAY too much of what I wanted. I am slowly learning to be a better person each day through my interactions with my friends on Facebook. Some day I hope to be as good as people seem to THINK I am! I am BLESSED! Welcome to my little corner of the world...Please stop by and visit often!

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Beginning of my LOVE for Painting...Wednesday, December 11, 2013



It’s HUMP DAY…Prince Charlie has had a nice day of rest…I DID hear something begin drug across the floor, BUT I looked up and saw Charlie sitting where he was the last time, so I THINK I need to get up and SEE if I can find out what was going on…I sure hope it is NOT trouble…WELL, look what Charlie has found…He found Daddy’s old work bench!  I have NO IDEA what is on his mind BECAUSE I see he ALSO found the hammer and needle-nose pliers…I think I should keep a closer eye on him.  I just feel like he is up to something.






I’ve always been creative.   I think it is a family trait that I have proudly inherited.  My mother could sew, knit and do most anything with her hand.  At one point, BEFORE it was considered wrong to refinish antiques, Mother refinished around 30 family pieces.  My poor Daddy should have BANNED her from the attic.  When the house was built 100 years ago, things were finished as needed or as money became available.  The attic was apparently built around WHATEVER was left upstairs that was not needed at the time.  DADDY had to shave off part of the door to get the sugar barrel out that Mother wanted…

I started painting around 1984.  It started out with painting old railroad nails.  Mother had found some and so she has shown me how she did it.  Since the college I attended had been built right by the railroad tracks, I would walk with my friends to find the nails.  I taught some of my friends how to do this also.              





 
One of my earlier paintings...maybe 1986ish...
 When I moved to Russellville, Arkansas in 1984 as a Christian Education Director/Choir Director, the  FOLK ART craze was in full swing.  A friend of mine had started painting blocks and I was intrigued.  Mother had meanwhile take a tole painting class.  I made arrangements to come back home to attend the Nashville Flea Market so I could see what all the hype was about.  WELL, after walking around and looking, I decided that I COULD paint some of that stuff and Daddy just knew he could cut some out, so he sent me back to Arkansas with a bag of lop-sided hearts and some wooden houses!  THUS my story began.            I was VERY BAD at painting, BUT luckily, that was the style!  I quit my job in 1986, and moved back home.  My oldest brother had started doing a local craft show, so we decided that I would give the show a try.  I STILL remember that I sold $800 my first show.  I was hooked!


Daddy wanted me to paint this because this was WHAT Mother did!!

 I did craft shows with my Daddy until his death in 2003.  He was my buddy…my partner in crime!  He cut my wood for me and would have it waiting when I arrived home from work each night.  He would say, “I’ve got your table set for YOU.”  I would then march upstairs to draw off more patterns and the next morning when I was going to work, I would put them at his place at the table with a note saying, “I guess YOUR table has NOW been set, too!”  WHAT fun we had.  I would often pay Mother to basecoat for me during the busy Holiday season.  I worked FULL FULL time and we would do about 6 – 9 shows during October, November and December.   



 I have to admit that NOTHING has been the same since the death of my DADDY.  Mother and I had a difficult time during her last few years and PAINTING was my escape.  I still am struggling with dealing with all that happened during those years, BUT I am learning to let some things go and am working on FORGIVING myself.  I am so thankful that LAUGHTER has returned to my world and NOW if ONLY I can make myself get back into the world, then all will be well! 







Writing has been such a healing process for me.  I have met the most WONDERFUL FUN group of people on Facebook.  I enjoy doing a post each day and sharing an original creation each day.  I have been on etsy for a few months and NOW have 21 sales…I am VERY happy with that.  I have started designing patterns—I have over 100 made with 77 of them being available as INSTANT DOWNLOAD on etsy.  NOW if ONLY I can find some more people who want to buy them and paint them!!  ROFL…I think I am finally going down the road I am to travel for now. 



 I don’t know what the future is.  I just KNOW that the PRESENT is a gift to ME and I am THANKFUL…I sure hope that YOU have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY…Blessings to YOU…~charlotte♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world. In case you haven't been told, you are loved!~~charlotte♡